Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bad day for Baxter, and Us.

Well today was not a good day as a dog owner. Rory and I are very upset, our Baxter got into a container of Squirrel/Rodent Poison that was left out on the property and forgotten for a few weeks. We had no idea it was there, I saw him eating out of the bucket and immediately knew it was bad. Rory was with me and confirmed it was poison.
We rushed him to the vet and they induced vomiting. They kept him there a while until he stopped, then he was given charcoal to filter any poison in his system. He also got an injection of vitamin K to counter act the poison, and we have a bottle of vitamin K to give him for a couple weeks.
We picked him up around 5pm today and while there, learning our take home care steps we learned the very depressing news of Baxter's recovery. He must not have any form of activity for 30 days. Apparently the poison can remain in the body for up to a month and activity releases it to the blood stream. A complete lack of activity will not be easy for our hyper active terrier. He comes with us to work every day where he runs around most of the day. He is super hyper when we get home and enjoys his toys and a very intense play with them. He is usually walked by us to go to the bathroom and rarely goes in our yard. And we can't let him do any of those things for a month.
We are not sure how it will go, but tomorrow we are going to leave him at home for the first time ever while we go to work. So sad, but we just want him to be okay and recover. We'll keep you posted on his condition.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails